All reviews end with a number of stars out of five. Here’s what these approximately mean:
1 out of 5 stars–This is insanely, infinitely bad. Save yourself and stay away from it!
2 out of 5 stars–meh
3 out of 5 stars–Average. I didn’t hate it and didn’t love it. You might love it or hate it. Use your own discretion.
4 out of 5 stars–I really liked this a lot.
5 out of 5 stars–ZOMG I LOVED THIS!
Product Review Requests:
I am pleased to accept products for review if it is something that I know I will use. Obviously this is more difficult to pin down in a policies page, so if you have a product you think I might be interested in reviewing, please send me an email with the details at opinionsofawolf[at]gmail[dot]com with the subject line “Product Review Request: [product name].” I will get back to you with a yes or no as soon as possible. My previous product reviews may be found here and here. Please note that I have a much better camera now than I did at the time when I wrote those reviews.
Thank you for your interest!
Book Review Requests:
I am open to review requests July15th, 2015 through December 30th, 2015 for books to be reviewed in 2016!
This is how the review request process works on Opinions of a Wolf:
- You read this page thoroughly to determine if your book is potentially a good match for me.
- If it is, fill out the submission form. I do NOT accept submissions via comments or emails.
- Between December 1st and 30th, I go over the submissions and determine which ones I will accept. The number I accept will depend upon both the number that interest me, and the number I feel comfortable committing my time to in 2016.
- I send out acceptance emails to all the accepted authors/publishers anytime between December 1st and January 8th.
- By January 15th, accepted authors/publishers reply to this email either with a copy of the ebook or confirmation that they have sent out the print book to me. If I do not hear back from accepted authors/publishers by January 15th, the review acceptance will be rescinded.
- By January 31st, I will write a post right here announcing the books I have accepted for review. This means that if you are accepted for review, you have the potential for three instances of publicity: 1) the announcement 2) the review 3) a giveaway (if you request one AND your book receives 3 stars or more in the review). You may view 2015’s announcement post here. I highly recommend checking it out, as it reveals some interesting data on genres that have many versus few submissions.
I only accept review requests from indie authors! Indie authors are defined (by me) as self-published or backed by a small, independent publishing house. I believe in, and am a big supporter of, putting the power of the written word back in the hands of authors and readers. Plus, as an indie author myself, it’s good karma. ;-)
The exceptions to this rule are: 1) if you are a non-indie author or publisher and your book is on my wishlist or in a series I am actively reading, please feel free to offer it up to me and 2) books I request myself, either via contacting you or via NetGalley 3) If I have previously read a book you wrote and gave it 4 or 5 stars, you may contact me about new publications for reviews at any time. Please mention this prior book review in the subject line of your email.
I am particularly interested in books by GLBTQA and/or women authors.
Formats I accept:
- kindle compatible ebooks of any type EXCEPT pdfs
- print books
Genres I prefer:
- especially the occult and psychological
- especially: post-apocalyptic, dystopian, robots/ai, cyberpunk, transhumanism, and space exploration
- Paranormal or western romance
- Urban fantasy
- Detective/film noir
- Thrillers (but not political thrillers)
- Historical fiction with a focus on women’s history
- Nonfiction ONLY in the following categories:
- health and fitness (nothing paleo or crossfit)
- history (all kinds)
- Graphic novels in any of the above listed genres (MUST be a print book)
- GLBTQA in any of the above listed genres
Genres I will always say no to:
- Christian/religious/inspirational fiction and nonfiction
- Chick lit/women’s lit
- Fantasy set in a medieval European setting
- YA (fiction and nonfiction)
- NA set in an undergraduate setting.
- Children’s literature (fiction and nonfiction)
- Anything homophobic/biphobic/transphobic
- Political thrillers
- Short story collections
- Graphic novels in ebook format. I only read these in print.
All of my reviews of review copies are cross-posted to GoodReads, LibraryThing, and Amazon, although the Amazon posts come in spurts as I have the spare time to do them. Due to Smashwords’s policy that one must have bought the book there in order to review it, I can only cross-post my reviews there if a Smashwords coupon code was provided along with the review copy.
Further note, please understand that my readers have come to trust me for my honest reviews. If you don’t want to risk getting a 1 or 2 star review, don’t send to me, as I’m not afraid of giving them where I feel they are warranted. For examples of 1 star reviews, see here, here, and here. For examples of 2 star reviews, see here, here, and here.
Thank you for your interest!