Home > Friday Fun! > Friday Fun! (Featuring My Niece and Swaptree)

Friday Fun! (Featuring My Niece and Swaptree)

My lovely loyal readers and friends, so sorry there’s been no book reviews this week!  The book I’m currently reading is really long, and I’m not enjoying it that much so the pace of my reading is a bit below average.  I definitely should ring in next week with a review though, as it’s almost done!

This week I played pub trivia for the first time and discovered that I am not good at trivia.  This is funny and ironic cause I know lots of random facts, but apparently I don’t know trivia type facts.  I mean, really, who’s a tall athletic actor who guest starred in 1970s tv shows?  Jeez, I dunno.  I also didn’t enjoy that the music to keep teams from overhearing each other meant that I had to yell all night.  That’s only worth it for a concert.  Ah well.  Lesson learned.  I guess I should stick to arcade games, pool tables, and dart boards when we go out.

Some of you are aware that I welcomed my first niece into the world on December 23rd.  My brother and my sister-in-law made the choice to have her, even though she has Down Syndrome.  I know they have plenty of love in their hearts for a special baby, and they are just wonderful with her.  Unfortunately, one of the elements of Down Syndrome is that the babies almost all have heart problems.  They usually operate on the babies at 6 months (I have no idea why at that particular point, but I’m sure there’s a reason).  Anyway, due to the heart condition, my niece is not very strong.  She struggled to learn how to eat.  I guess that takes a lot of energy she didn’t have at first.  Finally she gained enough weight and was eating well enough to come home.  I was going to go meet her and visit my brother and father this weekend, but unfortunately she had to get readmitted to the hospital.  She wasn’t gaining weight, which babies are supposed to do.  This is of course difficult for my brother and sister-in-law who also have an almost 3 year old little boy to take care of and a small farm to run.  Thankfully, most of my family lives near them so they have lots of help.  I wish there was something I could do from a distance to help my brother, but there’s not much beyond being an ear to listen when he needs to talk.

In much happier news, allow me to tell you guys about Swaptree.  Swaptree allows you to list books you have but don’t want and books you want, and then it sets up 1:1 trades for you (or you can browse and request trades yourself).  This works extra well since they set up 3 way trades, which helps you find a lot more books.  The matches they make are in no particular order on your want list, so it’s a bit of a surprise what you get, particularly if your want list is as long as mine.  Since part of ringing in the new year was weeding my personal library, I excitedly decided to try this out.  It’s so awesome!  So far I’ve gotten rid of 8 books for books on my tbr list.  For those wondering, my weeded books were mainly textbooks I will never ever read again, some romance novels that came to my library for free that my boss gave me, and books from a point in my deconversion when I was wondering if maybe I should be pagan.  For the record, I’m not pagan.  I guess I’m deist.  Anywho, so the books I’ve received in exchange so far are:

• Mommie Dearest by Christina Crawford
    Do not mock me.  I have a thing for memoirs.
  • Living the Simple Life by Elaine St. James
    I’m a big fan of minimalism, and this was highly recommended on minimalist blogs.
  • The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox
    Yes, another paranormal romance.  However, it’s supposed to be a comical one which will change things up a bit.
  • Life, The Universe, and Everything by Douglas Adams
    I’ve already read this, but I love love LOVE the Hitchhiker series, and didn’t (still don’t actually) own them all, so I’m fleshing out the “trilogy.”
  • Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres
    This memoir is by a woman whose fundamentalist Christian parents sent her to the same reform school in the Dominican Republic that my cousin’s parents sent her to, so I was intrigued.
  • Wild Swans by Jung Chang
    I realized I haven’t read much non-western lit lately, and I enjoyed the nonwestern lit I read in college.  This memoir is about three generations of Chinese women, and I think it looks really good!
  • Neuromancer by William Gibson
    A classic scifi book that my nerdy friends have been berating me for not having read. 😉
  • Feed by M. T. Anderson
    A dystopian book about our heads being plugged into computers.  Right up my alley.

All those books and my personal library size hasn’t increased at all!  I encourage you guys to check Swaptree out.  The only costs associated are shipping, and you can print labels directly from the website for extra ease.  Each book costs around $2.46 to ship.

Have a nice long weekend, everyone!  Rock on Martin Luther King Jr!

1. January 15, 2010 at 11:39 am

Ooo Feed is so good! I read it in high school when I was a library aide. It was one of my first dystopias, and it started my love for that type of book. You’ll enjoy it! M. T. Anderson is excellent. I’m going to have to check out Swaptree. I bet I could get rid of some of my husband’s old theology books that he doesn’t want anymore.

• January 15, 2010 at 11:54 am

Ooo, excellent! I was hoping it’d be a good dystopian book and not a bad one, and if it got you into the genre, it must be a good one!
      I’m glad you’re gonna check Swaptree out. I bet you can get rid of the theology books. I’ve definitely swapped one type of book for a completely different type of one myself.

2. January 15, 2010 at 11:51 am

I love pub quizzes! I may go to two a week 🙂 haha, my head is full of useless knowledge well useless except for at quizzes. We tend to go in a team made up of different specialities. Mine is books and films but also a bit of history. We always fall down on sport, none of my mates watch sport of any kind and I only watch F1.
    I’m sorry to hear your neice got re-admitted into hospital, I hope she is strong enough soon to stay at home with your brother.

• January 15, 2010 at 11:57 am

Lol, part of the problem was definitely the randomness of our team! It’s funny cause pub trivia sounds so damn appealing to me, but I just didn’t like it.
      What’s F1?? (Sorry for being typical American, haha). We also sucked at the sports, and there were definitely sports questions given that it’s Boston. We needed at least one guy with us!

Thank you for the well wishes, Jessica. 🙂

• January 15, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Haha oh right yeah F1 is Formula 1 a type of motor racing, they stopped the American Grand Prix so I guess its not very popular with you guys!

3. January 16, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Oh really?? Lol, I gotta say, I was not expecting it to be racecars, lol.

• January 17, 2010 at 8:30 am

Do I dare ask what you thought it might be?! Haha.

• January 17, 2010 at 11:11 am

Well, I thought maybe something to do with soccer since it’s big over there and you guys call it football…..so Football 1, hah!

4. January 17, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Ouch! You used the word soccer…football fan or not that hurts for a Brit to hear haha.

5. January 19, 2010 at 11:25 am

I’d swap my books if the books I wanted were available in the UK! Shipping is cheap enough here too but I’ve never seen enough books I wanted on sites to justify the initial giving up of books + expense of shipping. If I move back to the US I will probably join one of them. I’m really happy to see you’ll be reading Wild Swans, I hope you love it!

• January 19, 2010 at 11:29 am

Yeah, I probably should’ve included a caveat for my UK readers that I have yet to see a book swapping site as good as Swaptree available for the UK. Thanks for pointing that out!

I’m fairly certain that Wild Swans made it onto my tbr because of your review….I think. So thanks! I’m excited to read it! I love female memoirs!

6. January 19, 2010 at 3:18 pm

My sympathies for the drama with your niece. I’m sure, though, that you being there to listen to your brother is incredibly important to him during this time.

Also, I’m totally going to check out SwapTree right now! I have a bit of a problem when it comes to buying books (uh, which is to say I can’t stop doing it). This sounds like a frugal way to switch up my home library.

• January 19, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Thank you. It helps to hear that.

I’m so glad to have possibly made you into a Swaptree user! I admit part of why I started using it was for sheer frugality. You do lose the opportunity to *ahem* meet people that one gets from going to a bookstore though 😉

However, I’ve also heard other users say that they’ll pick up the wicked cheap books at used bookstores just to post them on Swaptree for books they do want. (Danielle Steel and John Grisham are surprisingly frequently asked for books). I have yet to try it myself, but it *could* give you the best of both worlds!

1. March 18, 2010 at 11:55 am