Home > Friday Fun! > Friday Fun! (Scott Pilgrim, How I Met Your Mother)

Friday Fun! (Scott Pilgrim, How I Met Your Mother)

Hello my lovely readers!  I hope you all had great weeks and got some time in for reading.  To my fellow Scott Pilgrim fans, I hope you got your hands on the final installment already.  If not, best get to it before the movie comes out next month, eh?  I don’t know if you’re aware, but the movie adaptation of the graphic novels was started before O’Malley had decided how the story was going to end, so the script writers kind of wrote their own ending.  O’Malley says he’s happy with the film ending, but I’m curious to see if I will be as well.  I was surprisingly happy with the ending of the graphic novel series.  Generally I can find something to gripe about at the end of series, but not this time.  I’m not sure if the movie can live up to it, but oh the third trailer has me really hopeful.

I was sick the beginning of the week with some sort of stomach thing, so I wound up watching a lot of tv.  I started watching How I Met Your Mother and in that sick haze, wound up getting almost all the way through the first four seasons.  It’s not a bad show.  A few of the episodes are hilarious, such as Slap-Bet.  The rest are at least entertaining.  I have to admit, though, if I knew the main characters in real life, I would absolutely hate them.  That doesn’t make it a bad show, but I doubt that’s the writers’ intention, since they based two of them on themselves.  Obviously the womanizing Barney is a character we’re supposed to love to hate, but I don’t think that’s the case with the rest of them.  Honestly, they’re all basically those people who just pick on anyone who isn’t exactly like them and apparently have no actual goals in life or morals.  It seems like kind of an empty existence for characters who are in their late 20s to early 30s, but oh well.  It’s good entertainment, but Friends is still better.

You can tell I spent a substantial portion of the week in bed, as I’m mostly yakking to you about tv shows and movies. Hm….oh! One of my pepper plants appears to finally have buds! I may have blossoms soon! I’m rather stoked.

Are any of you guys Scott Pilgrim fans?  How do you feel about the upcoming movie?  Any other thoughts on How I Met Your Mother?  I hope you all have lovely weekends!

1. jpetroroy
    July 30, 2010 at 8:53 am

Seriously? Brian and I went through HIMYM in about a month and half and I love all the characters. I honestly think they’re fairly good human beings and pretty well-rounded characters. I would totally be friends with them in real life.

• July 30, 2010 at 9:17 am

Seriously?! It’s a good thing I know you in real life, Jen, or I’d be wondering, lol. 😉

First off, Marshall gives up on being an environmental lawyer because his selfish wife squandered their money on designer shoes and handbags (so shallow). Remember before he had to take a corporate job due to the bad economy, he turned down a job offer to be an environmental lawyer. The only reasons it wasn’t enough money was a) Lily’s spending and b) they bought an apartment that was WAY out of their price-range. Then there’s the fact that they’re one of those couples that does nothing but rub their coupleyness in other people’s faces and barely have a life outside of each other. I can’t stand that.

Then let’s look at Ted. All Ted has is a career in architecture. He spends all of his time outside of that drinking in a bar with womanizing Barney or watching Star Wars. He frequently laughs at and demonizes people who actually take a stand for something (look at any mention on the show of vegans ever).

Barney is obviously not someone you’d want to be friends with in real life. He is a womanizer who is awful to women. I’ve known men in real life who sleep with a lot of women because they genuinely love women, but they never lie to them or are cruel. Barney is cruel and immature. When he’s not lying to women, he’s playing laser tag and being mean to kids. I mean, seriously?! Also, his job is working for an evil corporation where he basically gets to stick around just because he knows company secrets of internationally slimey proportions.

Robin is the only character who I don’t think is a bad person, per se, but she’s not the most dependable friend. The only thing she’s not wishy-washy about is her career, and honestly, I lost a lot of respect for her when she gave up her job in Japan, which was exactly what she’d said she’d always wanted. (Though that was probably due more to lazy writing than any true aspect of her character).

2. July 30, 2010 at 9:57 am

I need to watch HIMYM. I wish this was on Instant View, but I just moved disk one to the top of my queue. And you’re right, it does sound like we had the same thing! Weird!

As far as Scott Pilgrim: The Movie, I’m really looking forward to it and I’ve heard great things about it, but I just don’t see how it can do justice to the books. Plus I’m meh towards Michael Cera.

• August 2, 2010 at 7:57 am

You’ll have to check back and let us know if you’d want to be friends with the characters, lol!

3. August 13, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I’ve always thought that the characters we sympathize with (or loathe) in movies/tv/books says a lot about what we value or appreciate. I loathed The Notebook, but it was always interesting to discover that while I hated it because I found the female lead to be annoying and a terrible person, other people hated it because they felt the same way about the male lead (and inexplicably, all of my freshman comp students loved it…). My feelings for it are shaped in part by my loathing of any romantic story line based at its core on cheating, whereas your feelings on HIMYM are based on your frustration with the vegan comments and the womanizing, etc. I have to admit that I love HIMYM. The characters are a bit ridiculous, but they make me laugh and they haven’t pushed any of my major frustration buttons. My only issue with it is that, as you have pointed out, the writers have all of the characters give up on their passion/values for the sake of a funny new plot twist or punchline.

• August 14, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Yes, a lot of HIMYM is plot-focused, and the characters lose out to that. Otoh, I guess I can’t expect too much character development from a half hour sitcom lol.