Home > BAND > Bloggers’ Alliance of Nonfiction Devotees (BAND): July Discussion: Favorite Type of Nonfiction

Hi guys!  So the lovely Amy (of Amy Reads) let me know of a new organization of bloggers who love to read nonfiction–Bloggers’ Alliance of Nonfiction Devotees.  The group has a tumblr, and basically the various members will post links to their reviews of nonfiction books as well as participate in themed discussions once a month.  You all know that I definitely partake in nonfiction periodically, so I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to be involved!

This month’s topic is our favorite type of nonfiction.  I’d be hard-pressed to choose just one, so I’m going to cheat a bit and talk about, well, three of them.

First, the type of nonfiction that I continued to read even when working full-time and attending grad school at night was memoirs.  Memoirs hold a special allure for me.  Nothing connects me to people from different walks of life than mine quite like reading their first-hand account of their own life.  I especially love memoirs by people who suffer from mental illnesses or have survived abusive situations.  Memoirs simply never fail to touch me, even if I disagree with the author on a lot of points.  It is truly astounding how different and yet the same we all are.

Second, I love books on health for the layman, particularly books on vegetarianism and veganism.  I have a whole pile of tbr books just waiting for me about the health crisis in the US, such as Diet for a New America and Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health.  Knowledge is power, and we Americans certainly need to take charge of our health.

Finally, I was a history major in undergrad, and history books still appeal to me.  Currently I am reading a biography on Heinrich Himmler (the head of the Gestapo).  I particularly love history books on Native Americans, westward expansion, the American Revolution, Australia, China, Japan, and WWII.

So that’s the types of nonfiction I love! What about you, my lovely readers?

1. July 13, 2011 at 11:56 am

Heh, you’re such a cheat 😉 Which of course I think is perfectly acceptable because all three sound great!

• July 13, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Hehe, I am I am. I’m so bad at following rules. 😉

2. July 13, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I really like memoirs too, although I tend to avoid ones about abuse because it just makes me uncomfortable. That’s probably not a good reaction, but overall they’re just hard to read for me. I do love memoirs about people from different places and experiences than me though. Thanks for participating in BAND!

• July 14, 2011 at 8:21 am

Thanks for getting it started! Haha, I do tend to read about topics that make others uncomfortable.

3. Ash
    July 13, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Thanks for joining in! I couldn’t pick one kind either, so I wrote about a common them I tend to like: books about time and place.

• July 14, 2011 at 8:22 am

Ah, a theme was a good idea!

4. July 14, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Oh wow, I NEED to read that Himmler biography! Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Have your read In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson yet? Such an interesting, new perspective on the early Nazi years.

• July 15, 2011 at 8:20 am

I have not! Thanks for suggesting it. I’ll add it to the wishlist. 🙂

5. July 19, 2011 at 10:39 am

I like all three, too — I’m glad you didn’t choose just one. Food Politics has been on my TBR list forever. I should get to that one.

I moved from a memoir (My Life in France by Julia Child) to a related WWII book (A Covert Affair: Julia Child and Paul Child in the OSS by Jennet Connant). It’s been a fun couple of weeks!

• July 19, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Ah your Julia Child reads sound so intriguing! I’m fascinated by her life.

6. July 30, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I’m pretty eclectic in my nonfiction reads too. I have read a couple of food crisis type books – the well-known authors/books like Michael Pollan and the book Fast Food Nation, and they definitely are books that stir one toward action and change.

As far as history reads, some good ones I’ve read recently are Nechama Tec’s book Defiance about the Bielski partisans in Belarus, as well as Stasiland by Anna Funder, about East Germany.

And okay, this is a fiction recommendation but given your interest in Australia and WWII, have you read Nevil Shute’s A Town like Alice? Fantastic book, part of it set in WWII in Malaysia, and the rest set in either London or Australia.

• August 1, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Hi Christy! I haven’t heard of or read that book, and it sounds right up my alley. Thanks for recommending it to me!

It’s funny, I tend to stick to the less well-known food crisis books. (I’ve never read Pollan, if you can believe it, lol).

1. October 26, 2011 at 3:53 pm